[olug] Newbie Bash Scripting Tutorial

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 05:59:04 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 7:18 AM, Amy Mason <amason80 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks everyone, and to those who recommended .. Google it.. believe me,
> that's where I started.. I tended to find things that were far above my
> head, and made the lecture notes look... um, comprehensive and useful. I
> will try to pick up the book though, that sounds like a good direction to
> go.  The more I look at the problem, the more I see that its a problem with
> filters more than scripting anyhow, so I'm going to go google those for a
> while, but this will be useful in other ways.. hooray for breaking
> computers... *evil grin*

I depended on google too much for information that i had totally
forgot was built into *nix systems and wasted time, so a friendly
reminder of all the reference material built-in at the command line.

google.com can be a distraction from the command line.
google desktop configured to index /usr/share/ or / may be more
helpful, but your still not at a bash prompt.  Limiting to PostScript
files may narrow down your search well.   Wish the drop down list had
text files and man, however.

We often forget the info built into the OS and accessible from the
command line.  Tutorials are fine but when hacking at a problem, quick
access to some essentials can be more useful.

info coreutils
info bash

man bash  (not a tutorial and hard to find where a "for" loop is
documented, but it is there...)
man for  and man while  (these work now on my system Fedora Core 11,
but it didn't in the past.  did i yum install some bash reference?)

/usr/share/
/usr/share/doc/