[olug] Newbie Bash Scripting Tutorial

Daniel J Griffiths ghost1227 at archlinux.us
Wed Sep 16 04:57:00 UTC 2009

Will Langford wrote:
> Find the 'bash programming howto" :)
> godlike.
>

> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 8:43 PM, Amy Mason <amason80 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been lurking around here for several months, since I used to come to
>> meetings before moving to Lincoln, but I was wondering if anyone has a good
>> idea where I can find a decent tutorial for bash scripting, as well as a
>> tutorial for filters on the command line. (Things like "sort" "comm" "tr",
>> piping and redirection, etc...  I'm in a Linux class now, and honestly not
>> getting as much out of my professor's lectures as I would hope, and really
>> could use the help.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Amy

Two good links:
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashPitfalls

But your best bet really is trial and error :P Just figure out what
you're trying to do and play with it until you figure out how and why it
works. Remember, Google is your friend. If you have issues, ask for help
(I'm always willing to help and I'm sure there are others around who
would be as well).