[olug] [Off topic] Resurrecting a washed MP3 player.

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Wed Sep 9 16:51:54 UTC 2009

So, over the weekend I washed my Sansa Clip 2GB (flash, not HDD).
Sure, it was $25 a year ago, but I like it.  Besides, this proves to
me that I'm not adult enough to take care of a more expensive MP3 toy.
:-)

Anyway, I searched for ideas on how to dry it out.  First I fired up
the air compressor and blew out all the water, then I put it in a
zip-lock bag with 1/4 cup dry rice and left it in my car all day.  The
theory is that the warmth helps evaporate some of the water, and the
rice absorbs it rather than it re-condensing on the components.

After the air+rice treatment, it would now power up when I plugged it
in to the USB port, but the battery wouldn't take/hold a charge.

I popped open the case and everything looks dry.  Everything looks
dry.  (Unfortunately during the case opening, I broke one of the wires
leading to the battery so I'll have to re-solder tonight.)

So, any other bright ideas on resurrecting this one?  I'm thinking
that I'll find the next sub-$30 flash player and use it for another
year.  Sure makes mowing the lawn more enjoyable.

Dan

--