[olug] OT: Domain Registrations

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Wed Sep 2 04:21:59 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 10:15 PM, Matthew Will
<mwill at midlandsnetworksolution.com> wrote:
> I use both Verio and Rackspace.  But I also host a few more sites.  For
> one or two sites personally I would go to Network Solutions.  But,
> that's who I use for all of my domain registrations.  Second choice
> would be GoDaddy only because they are a bit less expensive for
> registering and hosting.  Both NS and GoDaddy have excellent
> administrative interfaces and support if necessary.  In your situation I
> could see you going to GoDaddy.

I have to take a slightly different stance in my opinion of Network
Solutions.  I would never willingly use Network Solutions.  They are
way overpriced, have behaved in unethical ways, and I've had nothing
but problems with their service and support.  I first had problems
with them many years ago when I registered my first domain name with
them, and had additional issues in two separate cases at previous
jobs.

The only thing I'd ever do with Network Solutions would be to transfer
my domain(s) away from them, and pray that it didn't take me months of
dealing with support to get it to go through.

GoDaddy has done some sketchy things as well (many discussed on the
nodaddy site), but they do have the advantage of being cheap.  I don't
particularly like them, but I dislike them less than many (most)
alternatives.

--
Christopher