[olug] [OT] IBM Authorized service center in Lincoln...

Kevin D. Snodgrass kdsnodgrass at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 31 20:26:51 UTC 2009

> From: Dan Linder <dan at linder.org>
> Subject: Re: [olug] [OT] IBM Authorized service center in Lincoln...
> To: "Omaha Linux User Group" <olug at olug.org>
> Date: Saturday, October 31, 2009, 9:21 AM
> On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 17:00,
> DYNATRON tech <dynatron at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > keep in mind that you will be handing your data
> (broken HD) over to the
> > manufacturer for a replacement.
> >
> > for most desktop users this isn't an issue, but make
> sure your friend is
> > aware of this.
>
> She won't know what to do -- that's where I come in. :-)

Not trying to channel DYNATRON, but I think he might have been reminding you that handing the old hdd back to "someone" would include the data on that hdd.  After doing the image, install of new hdd, certifying everything works OK, you might want to wipe the old hdd.

# dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/sdX

should work just fine...

Kevin D. Snodgrass