[olug] [OT] IBM Authorized service center in Lincoln...

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Sat Oct 31 14:19:47 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 16:13, Rob Townley <rob.townley at gmail.com> wrote:
> Some laptops have a bios level hdd test.  hp honored these bios level
> test results for a new drive wo question.

Yup - my new HP laptop HDD started dying about 2 months in.  Their
"script" had me run it and when it gave the magic numbers back they
cross-shipped a new one the next day.

> too bad it doesn't have some kind of linuxbios in it bc then this
> could be done remotely.

I dream of the day that a remote-enabled BIOS is standard on all
equipment, not just high-end server-class systems.  They've already
spent the R&D, just update the laptop BIOS to this version and be done
with it.  (I'd even pay the $10-$20 bucks mark-up for them to add the
$0.50 chip to make it happen!)

> maybe lenovo would honor smartmontools results?  install as package or
> sysresccd?

I'm planning on talking to her tonight, plus I might call IBM and see
what they say.

Dan

--