[olug] ubuntu slowing down

DYNATRON tech dynatron at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 06:08:54 UTC 2009

if i understand you correctly...

runs great;
you open your browser;
you close your browser;
runs like shit

correct?

if so, firefox may not be exiting when you close the window.
after closing firefox, open a terminal and do this....

*ps aux | grep firefox*

see if firefox is still on the list. it would look something like below, but
maybe a different version number.
*1000      7783  6.7 19.5 763380 172220 ?       Sl   Oct30   8:21
/usr/lib/firefox-3.0.15/firefox*
if so, this is bad, and it may be eating up your resources after you close
the window.

(ignore the line that says "grep firefox", that's the command you are
running)
*1000     12046  0.0  0.1   7524   904 pts/2    S+   01:03   0:00 grep
firefox*