[olug] Firewall / VPN Devices

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Wed Oct 7 17:03:17 UTC 2009

> I ended up going with Vyatta - it's Linux based so that meant my
> work-related VPNs functioned, it has a GUI to make the initial
> learning stage less steep, and it has a cli much like Cisco which I
> cut my networking teeth on (they're just behind the eye-teeth..)

What's the firewall configuration like on Vyatta today?  I tried the
live CD a few years ago, but the text-based firewall rule configuration
was a nightmare for a multi-zone setup with scores of rules.  I
eventually dropped back to CentOS with iptables & fwbuilder.  I also
run other stuff like my DHCP & DNS servers as well as forward &
reverse web proxies on my firewall box.  Can I still do those things
if I install Vyatta?