[olug] Firewall / VPN Devices

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Wed Oct 7 16:49:54 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 11:11,  <charles.bird at powerdnn.com> wrote:
> Ya, I've heard nothing but good things about pfsense, another company in omaha
> had 2yrs uptime on their pfsense boxes and had a lot of vpn traffic running

I had to replace my home-brew ancient firewall recently and tried
pfSense.  It would have been great, except for the fact that the BSD
kernel can only handle one Microsoft VPN through it at once (the Linux
kernel can keep track of multiple VPN tunnels through it).

I ended up going with Vyatta - it's Linux based so that meant my
work-related VPNs functioned, it has a GUI to make the initial
learning stage less steep, and it has a cli much like Cisco which I
cut my networking teeth on (they're just behind the eye-teeth..)

Just my $0.02 worth...

Dan

--