[olug] WM recommendation for switchers

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 00:06:02 UTC 2009

Every single person without exception I know who had problems with KDE
4 were running Kubuntu packages. The Kubuntu devs keep shipping broken
packages. I tried the Kubuntu release, and it was still terrible.

Compare it to openSUSE, Arch, Mandriva, PCLinuxOS, Sabayon, Fedora,
etc. and it is no contest.

I encourage you to take a look at the openSUSE 11.2 KDE 4 beta live CD.

Somehow openSUSE ships weekly snapshots, and I've never had problems
with any of them, but Kubuntu can't get a stable release with a full
distro release. Mind you, I know Novell pays tons of KDE devs to write
patches, backport features, package well, push stuff upstream, etc.

I know I often rail against Ubuntu (with a variety of reasons) but
trust me on this. I've converted several Kubuntu users simply by
asking them to give openSUSE a try then come to their own conclusions.

-- T. J.