[olug] [OT] Video Card Recommendation

Adam Lassek adam at doubleprime.net
Mon Nov 30 17:51:33 UTC 2009

Well, it's more complicated than that. The NVIDIA driver comes in two
pieces: one, a linux-specific 'shim' which links against kernel headers and
is GPL licensed, and second, a binary-only driver which is also used on
Windows and Mac OS, and thus not a derived work of Linux.

The point of contention is how the GPL shim interacts with the binary
driver. Linus seems to err on the side of having functioning hardware and
tolerates this, although he would obviously prefer GPL drivers.