[olug] [OT] Video Card Recommendation

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 05:16:22 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 7:29 PM, Luke-Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:
> "Modules" are just a Linux word for a binary patch. Linux is not a micro-
> kernel, nor does it make any linking exceptions other than for userland.

Incorrect. I can call the Nvidia kernel module without having to
recompile my kernel, because the module is not a patch to the kernel.
Just as the bootloader loads the kernel, and the kernel loads
userland, the kernel can load and unload modules. That doesn't make
modules merely a patch against the kernel.

The driver API itself is designed to be open for anyone to call, even
for proprietary modules.

> They've been 'caught' plenty, just not sued.

Caught? Linus uses proprietary video modules himself (or did at least)
since he has gone on record of saying he always buys Mac hardware. He
has mentioned directly using proprietary video modules in the past. It
isn't like this is some great secret work by Nvidia that no one has
noticed.

They haven't been sued because it isn't a violation. The FSF does go
after every violation it finds. I believe the FSF said recently they
find a GPL violation almost daily, and they try to pursue all of them.

-- T. J. Brumfield
"I'm questioning my education
Rewind and what does it show?
Could be, the truth it becomes you