[olug] Configure options for printing

Thomas D. Williamson twilliam at inebraska.com
Tue Nov 24 04:06:07 UTC 2009

I am trying to get more functionality with openSuSE, this now moves
into getting print capabilities going. I have two printers, one is a
Lexmark Laser that connects to the network through a router with a
built in server. I required a program installed in Windows for the
server to allow the connection. The other is an Epson Workforce 600,
this has wireless capabilities that work well under Windows.

I am trying to figure out if a Samba set up will work better over a
CUPS set up. I understand that I have more access to files in Windows
systems that are on my LAN with Samba, but I do not know that I will
need that consistently in what I do here at home.

Which set up will get me printing the fastest, and have I understood
the benefits and restrictions well enough?

Thanks

Tom Williamson