[olug] funny, true but funny

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Sat Nov 21 02:11:14 UTC 2009

On Thursday 19 November 2009 08:54:50 am Dave Rowe wrote:
> I still really don't get the argument behind this practice.  If you want a
> PC without Windows, why not buy one _without_ Windows?  There are plenty of
> options,

Many of the "OS-less" PCs for sale still include Windows in the price-- you
just don't get a license. By returning Windows, you actually don't have to pay
for it. There's also the factor of a wider variety of ships-with-Windows PCs,
etc...

> If I bought a vehicle with XM and never used it (I technically paid for the
> hardware) - should I be able to yank it out and return it for a refund?
>  No, I purchased the vehicle knowing full well what was installed, and
>  therefore paid for.

If the XM radio included a contract that you were required to either sign or
return the radio, then you should indeed be able to remove and return the
radio.

> If you can't find a comparable PC without Windows for as cheap as the one
> with Windows, then you can't really argue that you've actually _paid_ for
> Windows.

It shouldn't be "as cheap". It should be *cheaper*.