[olug] funny, true but funny

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 17:39:11 UTC 2009

The license is an OEM license, heavily discounted. Microsoft sold the
OEM license to HP, Dell or whomever. They resold it to you as part of
the bundle. Plenty of retailers tell you that you must buy a bundle,
and don't allow you to return individual components. If I purchase a
piece of furniture from Ikea, and assemble it with my own screws, can
I demand Ikea return the cost of screws?

There have been some individual cases (mostly in Europe) where someone
fought long enough to get a $50 refund. However, I assume the time
doesn't justify the cost. Again, if you don't want to pay for an OEM
license, then just buy a Linux prebuilt computer like others have
suggested.

Along similar lines, I just put in a new DC for a customer. We ordered
from Futureware. We wanted Server 2008 R2. We got Server 2008. Even
before it shipped, I called Futureware back to say that wasn't what I
wanted. Even though they were not yet in possession of the license,
they refused to change the order. They said it was impossible. They
just resell HP OEM licenses. HP refused to exchange the license. We
contacted Microsoft who refused to exchange the license.

I wasn't asking for a refund. I was asking to exchange an unopened
license for another unopened license of the same cost because they
screwed up on their end. No one would help me.

What kind of business practicess is that? How many businesses refuse
an exchange on a brand new unopened product?

That truly is fantastic service. Because they were so shitty, it gave
me an in with the client on the end to convince them to perhaps not
purchase Microsoft in the future. We're already dropping Exchange and
going to Zimbra. The DC just needs to authenticate, serve as a file
server, and be a Quickbooks Enterprise server. Linux does all that. I
want to setup a backup Linux DC (hoping Samba4 will do the trick) and
show them how much they can save in licensing. (If anyone here has
successfully got a Samba4 box to operate as a backup DC to a Windows
PDC and has advice, contact me in another thread, or off list.)

-- T. J. Brumfield