[olug] X-Mas is Coming -> Query & Stuff

Douglas Bertelsen douglas.bertelsen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 15:04:21 UTC 2009

I've been running a Fedora-based LHTPC for over one-and-a-half years.
It runs fine, but I have the following issues:

    PC is x64 and the repo (ATRPMS) can be a bit slow to download from
and has some weird dependencies with i386 and the version of WINE from
same repo

I have used both a Ubuntu and OS X frontend to access this server.
Both took minimal configuration.

Original configuration was not overly difficult (dual PC-5500s from
www.pchdtv.com), but wasn't "It just works" like other operating
systems might be.  5.1 digital sound worked just fine with my audio
hardware.

MYSQL played very nicely with a MOODLE server on the same box.

In short, I may eventually switch to a different distro, but nothing
has forced my hand at this point.  Qt libraries for new NVIDIA driver
were a minor headache, but everything cleared up within a few hours
due to bad timing for a YUM update.

Hope this helps,
Doug Bertelsen