[olug] [slightly-OT] Hardware recommendations.

Jay Swackhamer Jay at RebootTheUser.com
Wed Nov 4 17:05:45 UTC 2009

Are you going to buy or build?

Are you on HPUX Risc boxes or Itanium?

A budget number would be useful to make a recommendation on the HPUX side.

If you want a low-budget setup for the lab stuff, you can get
rackmounts, mostly 1U from geeks.com ranging from 120->350+. They have
had opterons, but it doesnt look like they currently do, I'd watch
them from time to time, you may be able to get some machines from a
movie render farm.

http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=821

for what you listed below, lights out cards are available as a PCI
card if you dont go with a HP/etc for around $500. If you want
useable/reliable lights-out, I'd stay away from IBM servers.

We are doing evals over the next month of the new HP/Dell/IBM servers
and blade centers, so I can forward the feedback once the hardware is
in place if you are interested.

I have put together servers through Amax http://www.amax.com for
customers(nothing recently though). They have some nice options for
servers with options for lots of local storage.

--
Jay Swackhamer
Reboot The User