[olug] sftp using cURL

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Mon May 11 18:04:04 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 11:04 AM, DYNATRON tech <dynatron at gmail.com> wrote:
> when i 'make install' the "ubuntu-friendly version", it installs to the
> wrong directory! when running configure i must specify /usr/bin as the
> install directory.

If you just run "make; make install' in the source tree you get from
'apt-get source foo', it will build from the pristine source, without
any Ubuntu specific patches, configs, etc.

> ./configure --prefix=/path/to/curl/tree
>
> i did so, but for some reason it installed in the wrong directory anyway.
> (maybe just leftovers from the last attempt to compile)

If you follow the directions in the article I posted and use
debuild/dpkg-buildpackage, you will end up with a .deb package that
can be installed and managed with dpkg/apt-get.  It will also fit with
the rest of the system, install to the customary location, and be
removable with dpkg/apt-get.

> so, i cleaned up that mess.....and installed the current stable version in
> the correct location

For future reference, if you build a package from source and don't use
the debian build utilities (i.e. you install it with 'make install'),
you shouldn't put it in /usr/bin/ or /bin/.  You should use
/usr/local/bin/ or somewhere else under the /usr/local/ hierarchy.

Debian/Ubuntu operate under the assumption that they control
everything under /usr/bin/, and will overwrite things as needed there.
 At the same time, they assume that the administrator controls
/usr/local/ and will *never* touch anything there.

--
Christopher