[olug] (OT) Loner Mac

Steven Susbauer steven at too1337.com
Sun May 10 16:15:55 UTC 2009

On Sun, 10 May 2009 03:12:36 -0500, Adam Lassek <adam at doubleprime.net>
wrote:

> On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 1:20 PM, Cheyenne Deal
> <deal.cheyenne at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> They have the flat panel iMac G5 with the isight. Whenever I put the
>> drive
>> in one of my machines, the bios shows unknown device and the os does
>> not see
>> it. It is a apple type of western digital, using sata.
>>
> What OS are you trying to access it from? Be sure you have HFS+ support
> installed.

It is possible the PC BIOS does not recognize it because it is using the
Apple Partition Map. APM was used on all the PowerPC Macs. You may have to
add support in the Linux kernel to support the non-standard partition
table, as I doubt most PC distros include it (the kernel option is
MAC_PARTITION - in the menu/xconfig hidden in File Systems> Partition
Types> Advanced Partition Selection). You will still need support for the
file system as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Partition_Map

    Cheers,
       Steve