[olug] sftp using cURL

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Sun May 10 12:28:15 UTC 2009

On May 9, 2009, at 11:04 AM, Phil Brutsche wrote:
> I think you're confusing SFTP (FTP over SSL) with sftp(1) - the Secure
> File Transport Protocol used by the SSH "sftp" program.

I think you're confusing SFTP and FTPS.  :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ftps

FTPS (also known as FTP Secure and FTP-SSL) is an extension to the
commonly used File Transfer Protocol (FTP) that adds support for the
Transport Layer Security (TLS) and the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)
cryptographic protocols.

FTPS should not be confused with the SSH File Transfer Protocol
(SFTP), an incompatible secure file transfer subsystem for the Secure
Shell (SSH) protocol. It is also different from Secure FTP, the
practice of tunneling FTP through an SSH connection.