[olug] Sixth Sense

adunlop techworld.mail at gmail.com
Wed May 6 17:59:37 UTC 2009

> Move the display to a pair of glasses, with a tiny camera also mounted
> on the glasses, and then you're starting to get somewhere.  A
> bluetooth headset combined with glasses that can easily be turned on
> and off would be much more easily marketed.  The problem is getting a
> battery small enough for a display on the glasses, and getting costs
> down.

Not even kidding, I would spend three months wages for a system that
worked well across multiple platforms that was like this.  It would be
hands-down the most useful piece of technology I'd ever had.

> Wearing some cumbersome camera and projector on your chest
> just isn't the way to go.  Not only are some surfaces poorly suited
> for projectors, it just looks stupid carrying a projector on your
> chest.

This was simply a rushed together deal for them.  They spent something
like $100 for the entire kit and put it together before the system was
done.  It's also a first-gen effort.  Give them a few iterations and
this really may be something useful and interesting.  It's far less
bulky and uncomfortable than lugging a full-fledged laptop around with
you for simple tasks and much easier to use than say an iphone for
many applications.  They're aiming at an entirely unfilled section of
the market and it's about time.  It's been needed for a very long time.

> Smart phones were around forever, and the mass market wasn't
> interested in them until the iPhone came out, because style does
> matter.

I tend to agree somewhat but for different reasons.  I would say that
increased usability is critical.  Even the Windows 5 and 6 Smartphones
that were out there sucked greatly.  If you bring around a device that
is intuitive and easy to use while still having configurability, and
one that fills a niche that people want to be filled your product will
do well.  A nice design is important and will increase sales/numbers,
it won't draw more than a handful of users unless the requirements in
the last paragraph are completed.

Aaron