[olug] Community Colo Project

Dan Clough dclough at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 02:25:14 UTC 2009

Is it possible to run web applications on the Vyatta platform?  If so,
we could utilize the rest of that 1950 by running Cacti/MRTG and any
other critical infrastructure monitoring applications, although I have
a feeling that would still be major overkill.  If we can't find a
less-powerful system to replace it we'll stick with the 1950 for the
redundancy.

I've never done anything on this scale before, so one of my (already
numerous) worries is if we just get a barebones fiber drop from
Pinpoint.  Won't we need gear built to handle it?  New fiber NICs are
ludicrously expensive... I've seen upwards of $5000 for the Intel 10G,
$2k if you're just looking for the transceiver.  Now granted we won't
ever need to handle a 10G drop (And if we did we sure as hell wouldn't
use a single Vyatta box) but the 1Gigs are still $400-500 a pop.
Would we just need to use an SC/LC to 8P8C transceiver, or is a more
complex setup required?