[olug] Community Colo Project

James Ringler jringler at plainspower.com
Thu Mar 26 22:39:10 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-03-26 at 17:18 -0500, Charles.Bird wrote:
> I love Cisco, Juniper, Force10 and especially open source routing. I'd like
> to see a production network use only opensource routing sometime, it might
> be good for us since we are thee open source advocates in the Omaha area.

I have 15 John Deere dealerships from Nebraska to Arizona all
interconnected with Vyatta 514 appliances..    It's more stable than
when we had 10 year old PIX's and a few 2600's and have a much larger
feature set.

I run Vyatta in a Nokia IP440 from flash drive at my house which
replaced a pfsense install.   the only thing I miss is the captive
portal, and have never had any issues.

We're building a small colo West of Lincoln to house other customer
boxes like in the conversation and our virtualized 2k3 servers running a
XenApp delivered business software to all locations.    The colo will
run the high end Vyatta appliance (1u dual processor pizza box) to tie
it in to all of our stores.

The Vyatta is amazing..  I can't stress it enough.   The paid support is
second to none.  If you've done anything in cisco, the command structure
is similar, but makes more sense.

For those of you how are afraid of the command structure, the new Vyatta
5.0 has a gui.  I haven't used it yet as it's only a few weeks old.

JR