[olug] shell accounts available for olug.org?

Mike Hostetler hostetlerm at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 21:15:24 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Charles.Bird <charles.bird at powerdnn.com>wrote:

> I thought about doing the same with my dual quad 16GB ram machine, but I
> dont want to maintain it, and I know there is always someone out there
> smarter than me that will do something crazy.
>
> I used to use something in TX a while back might have been on a DSL
> connection.
>
> For remote trace routes I always look for a looking glass, like Level3 in
> Denver.

http://freeshell.org/

I've had an account for almost a year.  A $1 or so donation will get your
more access, and a one-time $36 donation will enable you to connect out of
the box, a simple webpage, etc.  The community is sorta like a old-timer BBS
board.

They use NetBSD and run a great system.  Highly recommended.

> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 3:37 PM, Kevin <sharpestmarble at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I leave my computer on at home for that reason. Maybe if we ever get a
> > community datacenter going you'd be able to host something there for
> > that purpose. Or also maybe slicehost(full root access, choice of
> > distro) would work.
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 15:34, Ryan Stille <ryan at cfwebtools.com> wrote:
> > > I know olug.org used to offer shell accounts to its members, I think I
> > > even had one at one time but that was years ago.  I inquired on the
> > > Contact Us form on olug.org a few weeks ago but never heard anything
> > > back - anyone know if this is still available?
> > >
> > > It would be handy to have a remote place to run traceroutes, etc.
> > >
> > > -Ryan

> --
> The information transmitted in this e-mail message and attachments, if
> any, may be of a confidential matter, and is intended only for the use
> of the individual or entity named above. Distribution to, or review
> by, unauthorized persons is prohibited. All personal messages express
> views solely of the sender, which are not to be attributed to
> MobileNow, Inc.. If you have received this transmission in error,
> immediately notify the sender and permanently delete this transmission
> including attachments, if any.

Mike Hostetler
http://mike.hostetlerhome.com/