[olug] Community Colo Project

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Thu Mar 26 20:49:38 UTC 2009

I only have 3 things to say:

a) I think BGP is overkill. What would we use it for? You'll be hard
pressed to find a BGP peer that won't laugh us out the door for
suggesting a BGP feed for a /26 or a /27. We're not going for 5-nines
reliability here, a cheap community colo should be best effort only.

b) Very very very few 6th gen units will run Advanced IP Services (iirc
the 2600XMs and the 2691 are the only ones), and for IPv6 you don't need
it. All you need is IP PLUS (IOS 12.3 or 12.4), or IP/FW/IDS PLUS if you
want statefull IPv6 firewall (IOS 12.4 only).

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us