[olug] OT: Used Routers

Dan Clough dclough at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 07:18:14 UTC 2009

I'm aware of the liquidator in Omaha, and I'm not saying those sites
are at all illegitimate - just that I'm getting very tired of chasing
around a bunch of salespeople who take four days to a week-plus to get
back to me.  (Personal experience, YMMV)

I'm aware of the very high costs associated with the new 8th-gen
equipment.  eBay and CDW price checks have proven that it definitely
won't be cheap and I'm definitely not expecting it to be (which is why
I'm choosing Cisco...), but even if it would cost me upwards of a
thousand bucks I'd still feel it's worth it to get my hands on some
new kit.

I haven't looked into the 7th generation models - I wondered what was
filling the gap between the older Ethernet and the newer
bleeding-edge/melt-your-face equipment.  If they're all FastE then
that would be a much better option, and if some have wireless
capability then that's even better.

I'd still like to find some good merchants for used Cisco gear,
regardless of generation.  I honestly have no clue who's reputable and
who's not, and all those counterfeit equipment warnings have me
paranoid.

Cheyenne - the 3620 looks to be a good option.  What's the port count
on the NM you have?

Dan