[olug] Traffic prioritization

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 15:32:19 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Christopher Cashell
<topher-olug at zyp.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Obi-Wan <obiwan at jedi.com> wrote:
>> Is there a good way, preferably using my existing firewall box, to
>> prioritize traffic by port or IP without strictly limiting the bandwidth
>> if nothing else is contending for it?
>
> The Linux kernel has built in QoS support.  However, trying to setup
> QoS by hand can be a rather complicated and involved process.  The
> direct tools used are tc and tcng.  The URL already given,
> http://lartc.org/, is probably the best documentation online (that I
> know of) to get going with it.  Although a little dated, it's still
> almost all applicable and accurate.
>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> Luckily, there are a handful of relatively simple scripts and tools
> that can make setting up basic QoS easier.  My recommendation would be
> to start with 'wondershaper'.  It's a fairly simple little script that
> you plug your upload and download speeds into, and it then sets up
> basic QoS to ensure that a big upload won't negatively affect your
> download/interactive activities.
>
> It, and other similar scripts, can also be extremely useful for
> providing examples and a framework to build on for extending and
> adding your own additional rules.
>
>> Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth                             obiwan at jedi.com
>
> --
> Christopher

OLUG's own Matthew Marsh wrote the book on iproute2 or "/sbin/ip" entitled
_Policy_Routing_with_Linux_
which can still be purchased but out-of-stock or browsed online at
PolicyRouting.org.  i used iproute2 more for having multiple nics and
multiple default gateways.  It was written in 2001, so some  of the
examples used /sbin/ip parameters that i don't believe exist anymore,
so Matt please publish a new version.

google site:PolicyRouting.org qos

Matt writes "and now the circle begins to close as the earliest
implementations of Policy Routing were primarily implementations of
various QoS concepts."  QoS may go by the term DiffServ or IntServ as
well.