[olug] MythTV - Cox Communications

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Fri Mar 6 05:54:28 UTC 2009

This is not a MythTV-specific problem. It happens to everyone who tries
to use a home-grown DVR, regardless of whether they are using MythTV,
Windows (XP MCE, Vista Home Premium or Ultimate), Sage TV, etc.

The most common solution to this problem is to record unencrypted HD via
coax or component-in and use an IR Blaster to change the channel.

Totally lame and one of the reasons I don't have HD at home (the other
is the lack of a HD TV ;)

There is at least one HDMI capture card on the market
(http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/). It is very
expensive and is intended to be used with a HDMI-equipped video camera.
It will not allow you to record content protected by HDCP.

Other comments:

Cox boxes - HD recievers and DVRs - have firewire. They also have USB
and ethernet. That doesn't mean any of it is functional!

CableCARD certified setups cost too $*(#) much.

I think traditional TV is doomed anyway. Think of AppleTV or Netflix -
for $10/mo I can stream an TV shows and movies to my Xbox 360 or PC.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us