[olug] DataFlex

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 00:09:53 UTC 2009

I have a client who has a rather old app someone wrote for them that
handles all their payroll. The client said it is a 20-year old app,
but I think it has had a few updates along the way, though it still
appears to be DOS based.

They want to upgrade to a newer accounting software package, but a
vendor wanted to charge them $350 per hour for support, and just as
much per hour to write them something new.

I'm not familiar with DataFlex at all, but looking at their web site,
you can get a personal license for DataFlex for Linux for free. Is
anyone here familiar with it? Looking at the site, it just looks like
a development framework. If I downloaded the development tools, would
I be able to access the data and export it to a more common format
(even tab deliminated) to try and import to another app?

And can anyone suggest perhaps an open source bookeeping/accounting
app suitable for a small business that I might be able to get the data
into?

-- T. J. Brumfield
"I'm questioning my education
Rewind and what does it show?