[olug] Getting true version of RHES

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Fri Jun 12 01:09:10 UTC 2009

You could ask rpm to tell you what package instaled /etc/redhat-release,
then download and re-install that package.  (Though I guess someone could
have downloaded the "RHEL 5" package and forced an install...)

You might try doing a "uname -a" and Googling for that string and see what
comments come up.  To confirm, then do another rpm command to list some key
packages (base, kernel, etc) and confirm that they are part of that same
release.

(I'm sure someone will show a simpler one-liner....)

Dan

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 19:13, Dave Thacker <dthacker9 at cox.net> wrote:

> This is one of those things that makes me shake my head and mumble.
>
> It appears one of our mission critical servers (runs the batch scheduler)
> had
> it's version manually changed in /etc/redhat-release to fool an installer
> for
> aforementioned scheduler program. (This happened when they had sysadmin by
> committee)  I've been told it's RHEL 5, but I'm looking for a way to verify
> the minor release number and put the proper string back in the file.  Any
> ideas?
>
> Yes, I'm taking away their "got root?" t-shirts........
>
> Dave

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (Who can watch the watchmen?) -- from the
Satires of Juvenal
"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac Asimov (Author)