[olug] Getting true version of RHES

Dave Thacker dthacker9 at cox.net
Fri Jun 12 00:13:09 UTC 2009

This is one of those things that makes me shake my head and mumble.

It appears one of our mission critical servers (runs the batch scheduler) had
it's version manually changed in /etc/redhat-release to fool an installer for
aforementioned scheduler program. (This happened when they had sysadmin by
committee)  I've been told it's RHEL 5, but I'm looking for a way to verify
the minor release number and put the proper string back in the file.  Any
ideas?

Yes, I'm taking away their "got root?" t-shirts........

Dave