[olug] OT: shoot me

charles.bird at powerdnn.com charles.bird at powerdnn.com
Fri Jul 24 06:10:52 UTC 2009

Was that u that just left?

-----Original Message-----
From: William Langford <unfies at gmail.com>

Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 01:07:29
To: Omaha Linux User Group<olug at olug.org>
Subject: Re: [olug] OT: shoot me

It's severely looking like it'll be a nasty hack to make this happen.
We pride ourselves on dirt cheap setups that do what's needed and are
rock solid - and it's looking like high availability on the windows
side of things is gonna involve expensive hardware for microsoft
clustering, or expensive software to do the highavailabilty automation
without ms clustering.

So I'm seeing two Linux boxes with a windows server virtual machine
and NLB configured on each - along with SQL express or ancient ms SQL
installed. Those just act as a connection front end and pass queries
on to a Linux based HA backend. Or possibly a windows OSS backend that
has it's own HA stuff (skipping the VM stuff).

Mysql's clustering backend has lots of Linux love, but is listed for
development only under windows. Postgres's SLony stuff looks to handle
replication fine under windows, but doesn't supply automagical
failover/heartbeat stuff. Either backend plus heartbeat under linux
offers what's wanted, and brute forcing the matter with DRBD under
Linux is possible as well.

So, developer status mysql cluster engine under windows, or virtual
machine windows to a linux postgres/mysql back end. I have much more
postgres experience.... Sooo.... Leaning that way.

I'm open to suggestions, but keep in mind my resources for the project
will make most any admin cringe :)

Linux for the win!

Sent from my iPhone