[olug] OT: shoot me

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 01:01:37 UTC 2009

> Looks like I'll be around pretty late, if you want some locally written
> documentation on how I do it with 2008 and DFS, let me know.

I'll start throwing rocks at your window j/k :)

Going through the DFS wizard on 2kas, it offers an initial two option thing
for the DFS root... something as part of a domain with automatic replication
stuff, and a 'standard' that doesn't use active directory for file
replication blah blah blah.

I figured.... DFS, active directory stuff would be used as a way of
propagating the configuration.  Since I'd have just two systems on site and
not wanting to set all that up... i'd go with the 'standard' option.

But noooooo... the standard option... just lets you reassign
\\system1\dfs-share\other-crap to point to say \\system2\crap ... which....
if I share something (say named other-crap) and then have a link in it to
\\system2\crap ... doesn't that accomplish the same thing ?

How the fuck can you have a DFS thing without replication.  How is that a
"DFS" or any different than the outside-shared-link thing mentioned above ?
 Retardation.

Soooo... I now get to look to setup a two system windows domain with a
distributed (or something) active directory thing between the two, etc etc
etc.  Unless I can get Active Directory to work without a domain.

My God this is stupid.  Two servers on site that need to be
high-availability configured between the two of them.  NLB /
SQL-transactional-replication doesn't handle fail over automagically..
so.... hoops upon hoops upon hoops to jump through.  Extreme hatred. Virtual
machine idea is quickly becoming a somewhat serious alternative heh.

-Will