[olug] OT wireless stuff

Shannon ridgid at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 19:19:43 UTC 2009

"but do any of you have experience with satelite broadband or long range
wireless access. I have a client in
Raymond, NE that is using DSL and has had all sorts of problems.

Dan Staehr"

satellite stuff that I have seen sucks and people I talk to get it. seems to
work good for a while and then it goes down hill from there till your about
at dial up.

wireless stuff works good if you have line of site. I get service from a
wireless ISP. I think its slow for what you pay but it works good. its about
a 2 mile link. but I think they can get around 10 miles.

I think some WISP's have no line of site stuff.

I had my own wireless link for a while shooting about 2 miles but I think I
over sized the antenna and had problems with line of sight.

may want to look into the cellular networks. I would go there before I would
look at satellite.

Shannon