[olug] Alltell / Windstream and a new DSL modem...

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Thu Jan 29 17:18:17 UTC 2009

> My parents are needing a new DSL modem for their AllTell (now Windstream?)

Yes, Windstream.

> Does anyone have any recommendations for a DSL modem that will work with
> AllTell/Windstream?

Unless you have a compelling technical reason, I'd get whichever
modem the ISP recommends.  That will be the one they're most familiar
with, and they're well versed in the technical issues that cause
incompatabilities with their circuit hardware.

> And aside from PPPoE, are there any other technical issues that I should be
> aware of when replacing a DSL modem?  They'll be using a small Netgear home
> firewall so we'll be putting the modem into "pass-through mode" -- that's
> the correct term, right?

So are you going to setup the Netgear firewall to do PPPoE, or
do you just mean you want to turn off any firewall/DHCP on the
modem?

I couldn't tell you which model DSL modem I have, but I remember
that I had to get a special one in order to handle my static
IP block.  I have the modem setup in pass-through mode, and my
Linux firewall handles the PPPoE itself.  I just took whichever
modem the Internet Nebraska techs recommended for me, and it's
worked flawlessly.