[olug] Looking for cheap but "good" Switches

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Thu Jan 8 23:30:48 UTC 2009

>>> Ya i need 1GbE and I'll need at least 4 switches of 5-10 ports each.
>>> I cant afford to buy the fancy nice ones for this personal project.
>
> I know somewhere out there someone is cracking their knuckles at their
> keyboard, about to type..."If you want a good switch you'r gonna have to
> spend some good money", which I know.  I also know that there has to be
> someone out there that manufactures something that truly is simple, dumb,
> fast, and somewhat cheap, like under 500-300 bucks i would hope.

Do you really need four 5-10 port switches, or will one 20-40 port
switch work just as well?  If the latter, and if you consider
$300-500 cheap, then check out these two:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122139
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122058

I own that first one, and love it.  16 ports with a 32 Gbps backplane.