[olug] Linux Adventure

Jordan Fox vmifox at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 23:30:33 UTC 2009

I'm not a huge gamer, but a lot of the type of games you mention might work
under wine, especially since they aren't extremely resource intensive.  If
you like older games, a bunch of them ported or mimicked in Linux.  I used
to play old NES and SNES games with the emulators and I currently have
Starcraft installed using wine.  It runs fine on impressive Athlon XP 2000+
(yes, you read that correctly, no 64 or X2 in there - what can I say, I've
made it a game to see how long I can stand to use the thing.  Every now and
then I choose lighter weight distros and software and if feels like I've
upgraded - until I try to do something cpu intensive).  Albeit, my cpu tends
to run at nearly 100% while I'm playing the game.  I don't have experience
with Audible - I'm guessing from the conversation that it's an e-book reader
for windows.  You can go to the wine AppDB http://appdb.winehq.org/ and
search for it, but the only way to really find out is try to install it in
wine, which is easy enough in Ubuntu these days.  I would recommend
installing the wine repo, to use the most recent version instead of using
the older one  in the Ubuntu repo.

As to your other questions.  There is probably an easier way, but my
suggestion to make sure you use to correct partition is to boot to a LiveCD,
mount each partition to see which is which and write down the correct device
number (should be something like /dev/sda1 or /dev/sda2).  You can do that
easily enough on the command line by typing "mount" (no quotation marks) on
the command line.  It will tell you the device name, filesystem, mount
point, etc. of all mounted devices.  Don't do this hastily... I've made that
mistake before and data carving to retrieve data you would rather have not
lost is only fun if I'm in the mood and have time to "play around" :(  (made
that mistake again recently).  It does, however, keep you on your toes!

Your logic seems fine.  If someone flames your for not RTFM, PEBKAC or
something else stupid like that, brush it off.  There are dorks like that no
matter what hobby you pick.  I think/hope you'll find most people helpful
though.  As far as resources, I mostly use Google, the Ubuntu forums, or the
webpage of the software that's giving me trouble.  Google and the forums are
usually my first stop though, in that order.  If you need help with
something specific, just ask, the people here will help.

Jordan