[olug] trouble

Dave Thacker dthacker at bluestrain.net
Mon Dec 28 04:51:26 UTC 2009

On Sunday 27 December 2009 10:33:17 pm Luke-Jr wrote:
> On Thursday 24 December 2009 02:14:04 pm DYNATRON tech wrote:
> > the innovation of ubuntu is that it is the most user-friendly distro.
> > little-to-no configuration is needed for it to work properly on most
> > modern hardware. it's optimistically the windows killer, pessimistically
> > it's just a really good distro.
>
> Linux does all the hardware stuff, and as Rob pointed out via Greg's
>  article, Canonical/Ubuntu do next to nothing there. In theory, anything
>  using Linux will work on the same hardware. That said, I have been
>  constantly amazed at how Ubuntu won't even boot on a single PC I own,
and
>  always has hardware issues on every system I've tried it on. Also, I
>  *only* use Linux, so it's NOT a problem with Linux in general. So, no,
>  Ubuntu is FAR from good (or even decent) in the "it just works" area
>  regarding hardware...

I just built a new system, loaded Kubuntu 9.10 , and was ready to roll in less
than 60 minutes. (Note: The OS load and boot was 60 mins,  I had to learn
how to build the modern hardware and that took a few days)   I've loaded
Ubuntu server 7.10 through 9.04 on a variety of HP G2, IBM X-Series, and
Dell desktops with no hardware issues.  The worst hardware issue I've had
was an internal wireless card on a Dell laptop, but that was easily solved
with fwcutter.  Now I haven't loaded it on my Alpha yet, but if that didn't
work I wouldn't be too upset.

YMMV when you install Ubuntu.  My experiences have been mostly positive.
It's worked better than my snowblower, and it certain has cost a lot less!

Dave Thacker