[olug] trouble

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Mon Dec 28 04:33:17 UTC 2009

On Thursday 24 December 2009 02:14:04 pm DYNATRON tech wrote:
> the innovation of ubuntu is that it is the most user-friendly distro.
> little-to-no configuration is needed for it to work properly on most modern
> hardware. it's optimistically the windows killer, pessimistically it's just
> a really good distro.

Linux does all the hardware stuff, and as Rob pointed out via Greg's article,
Canonical/Ubuntu do next to nothing there. In theory, anything using Linux
will work on the same hardware. That said, I have been constantly amazed at
how Ubuntu won't even boot on a single PC I own, and always has hardware
issues on every system I've tried it on. Also, I *only* use Linux, so it's NOT
a problem with Linux in general. So, no, Ubuntu is FAR from good (or even
decent) in the "it just works" area regarding hardware...