[olug] [OT] New build questions

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 05:37:59 UTC 2009

Many motherboards now require a 24-pin ATX power cable. The "extra" 4
pins are often separated in case your mobo has the old 20-pin
connection.

You likely just need to plug that in and you'll be fine.

You have two distinct memory channels, which explains the colors. You
can stick 1 stick in the first channel (say slot 1) and the next in
the second channel (say slot 2) and be fine. But a 1/3 or 2/4
combination should also work.

You should get POST with beeps if there is a memory error. No POST is
likely just from not getting the adequate power to the mobo.

-- T. J.