[olug] Invitation to connect on LinkedIn

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 16:32:21 UTC 2009

I haven't used LinkedIn, but many of these social networking sites
will scrape your address book and just send invites to everyone it can
find. If you have a mailing list in your address book, so be it.

When I get an email from OLUG in Gmail, it shows the first name of the
sender, even though I received the mail via OLUG.

LinkedIn probably just scraped that info. Then again, these sites also
ask the user to verify which scraped addresses they want to invite.

-- T. J.