[olug] Help for a newbie system adminstrator

Irish irish.masms at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 18:57:01 UTC 2009

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 7:37 AM, Brady Cox <brady.cox at gmail.com> wrote:

> Figuring out the system baseline for memory and cpu usage would be a
> good idea.  What does it look like under heavy load?  What users
> typically run what processes?  Who is your most 'prolific' user?  Who
> is the guy who always writes code that makes things thrash?   Be able
> to look at the box at any given time and be able to tell in under 1
> minute that 'something is wrong'.

A good project for this is Nagios, and the replacement for Nagios Grapher -
automatically plot out the utilization & loads & such ofr your systems. Ive
been playing with this over the summer, and have been amazed at the stats we
can generate - down to the difference between system time & NTP, and the
network interface throughput! :)

HTH!

--
Timothy G. O'Brien, CISSP, GSEC, NSA-IAM

Irish dot MASMS at gmail dot com
HTTP://www.linkedin.com/in/obrientg

[snipped - FAQ for email trimming: http://kimihia.org.nz/articles/email/]
Discussion Groups: http://www.hoax-slayer.com/discussion-groups.html
Discussion List Etiquette: http://www.acfichapter.com/subscribe.htm
Properly Formatted Email Replies for the Lazy:
http://email.about.com/cs/netiquettetips/qt/et052704.htm
Mailing List Etiquette FAQ:
http://www.gweep.ca/~edmonds/usenet/ml-etiquette.html
RFC 1855: Netiquette Guidelines:
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html
Miss Mailers Answers Your Questions on Mailing Lists:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/mail/miss-mailers/

and of course the all knowing Google:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=mailing+list+etiquette
A: No.
Q: Should I include e-mail quotations after my reply?