[olug] Linux, Firefox, and Flash Video problems...

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 21:08:22 UTC 2009

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 3:21 PM, <charles.bird at powerdnn.com> wrote:
> Speaking of, my ex gf(who has a suse/kde4) box I gave her was asking me about .ashx images on myspace and why they don't show up in FF3.XX
>
> Anyone know of any easy fix?
> Not a big deal to me, just curious

My mother was getting those. She kept getting pop-ups about
downloading b.ashx files. Here is the fix that worked for me.

Myspace sends a script that is treated as text/plain on windows XP,
but on Linux it treats it as application/x-ashx.

Now if I use about:config on the windows machine there are is no mime
entry to either /etc/mime.types or ~/.mime.types hence the reason it
works.

If you open firefox and then enter about:config in the URL bar. The
filter on mime. Then double clicke on the helper entries and clear the
entries helpers.global_mime_types_file and
helpers.private_mime_types_file, then restart firefox.

-- T. J. Brumfield