[olug] Installing multiple linux distros...

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 20:15:00 UTC 2009

Service downtime is an issue with any service, be it Windows or Linux.

My point is that it is a given that we have to schedule downtime for
another, but we don't have that mentality in the *nix world.

Let's say I needed to patch some Windows boxes, but it needs to be up
24/7. Either I fail over to a redundant box, which has minimal
downtime, but downtime none the less, or I utilize clustering. With
clustering obviously I can migrate everything to one portion of the
cluster, then patch and reboot another portion of the cluster. Or I
just tell people to expect 1 hour of downtime a month and make them
live with it. Yet since the standard practice is with *nix systems not
to really patch, users are accustomed to not expect downtime at all.
And when you ask for an hour, they act like it is pulling out teeth,
even though they are used to the downtime for their Windows systems.

That being said, I think we're digressing here. I was just trying to
express that installing something that is already old the day you
install it doesn't make your system more stable. I don't understand
the mentality that old equates to stable, since it likely has bugs
that the new version fixes. But again, to each their own.

-- T. J. Brumfield