[olug] (off topic)Monitoring data used on a Windows system.

adunlop techworld.mail at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 18:46:27 UTC 2009

Don't assume that you'll get faster speeds on the Blackberry network
than dial-up.  Cell service around Kearney is spotty, it depends a lot
on where you are.  It's also quite slow for EVDO users.  At best I've
gotten ~200kb/s on Sprint and Alltel's(Verizon) networks.  Often it's
dial-up speeds or worse.

Tethering also adds latency, probably not a big deal but something to
consider.

Most cell companies allow you to monitor your usage.  However, that
may or may not line up to what they bill you for.  I've seen customers
extremely upset about that.  I can't speak for Verizon's service but
most providers don't let you shut off your account once you hit a cap,
they rather hope you do.

Aaron