[olug] Installing multiple linux distros...

Jay Swackhamer Jay at RebootTheUser.com
Wed Aug 5 16:19:09 UTC 2009

I set up a new development workstation for Matt Payne recently with
this configuration.

You will need to use the grub version for booting that comes with
ubuntu, since the centos version is quite a bit older.

Then add the boot info for centos into the conf on your ubuntu
/boot/grub, and remember to update it if/when you update the centos
kernel.

Instead of sharing the home dir, you might want to just make a
link/mount the other partition to pull files from. If you share the
home, you could run into config file version incompatibilities,
depending on your window manager.

You can use the same swap partition without issues, as long as you
dont want to use hibernation.

i.e.

/ ubuntu
/ centos
swap

in ubuntu, the centos partition is mounted under /centos
in centos, the ubuntu partition is mounted under /ubuntu

then on each side, put a link to your home dir on the other side

i.e. /home/dan/centos -> /centos/home/dan

--
Jay Swackhamer
Reboot The User