[olug] (off topic)Monitoring data used on a Windows system.

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Wed Aug 5 15:42:06 UTC 2009

My in-laws are not big data users and are looking to save some money
by dropping their $40+/month cable modem (Kearney, NE).  They are
thinking about going back to dial-up ($12/month for a local provider
IIRC) since they only use it for basic e-mail.  Since they both have a
Verizon BlackBerry, I mentioned that they could pay $15/month and get
the data plan that lets you tether and surf that way.  They would get
faster speeds and also be able to drop their home line too (for an
additional savings).

So, my questions:
* The $15/month give 5GB, and charges 5 cents per MB after the cap is reached.
1: Is there an application/utility for their BlackBerry or WinXP
system to monitor the monthly usage?
2: Does Verizon have a customer page that they can watch to judge if
they are close to the monthly limit?
3: Does Verizon have an option to just "stop" if the cap is reached?

Thanks in advance,

DanL

--