[olug] Untangle firewall

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Sat Aug 1 04:52:02 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 09:40, James Ringler<jringler at plainspower.com> wrote:
> Check out Vyatta..    http://www.vyatta.org
> The 5.0 version has a gui but you'll still have a little learning curve
> to use it.

Thank you very much for that recommendation!  Considering I cut my
networking teeth on Cisco CLI, I wasn't the least put out by the
"sparse" initial install.  Once I had the basic inside interface
addresses setup and enable the http GUI it was as easy as any other
firewall GUI I've used before.

I didn't use pfSense for very long (4 days?), but I can say that it
looks like a good distribution too.  pfSense seems to have more
out-of-the-box features, and the web-enabled plugins were pretty nice.

I haven't played with Vyatta enough, but once I got it setup it just works.

Thanks, hope this helps someone in the future.

DanL

--