[olug] "I remember when..."

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Fri Apr 24 14:09:00 UTC 2009

> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 23:27, Sam Tetherow <tetherow at shwisp.net> wrote:
>> First computer we as TRS-80 Model 1 with 32k expansion pack and worn
>> drive (cassette, write once, read never).  Actually got rid of it last
>> year.  Had original receipts and I paid over $1000 for the dot matrix
>> line print that came with it.  Second machine was an Apple IIc witch I
>> only paid $800 for it.
>
> I remember that Apple [[c. No HDD, 5.25" floppy drive, monochrome
> green screen that developed vsync issues(*sniff*), and the ugly sound
> that it made when you (re)booted it without a floppy disk(it couldn't
> find an OS). "Please take the disk out, turn over, and reinsert to
> save your data." That AppleSoft BASIC is probably the most bug-free
> "OS" that I can remember.

I've *still* got my Apple ][c and a box full of 5.25" floppies, much
to my wife's dismay.  Oh, what memories.  I should dig it out to show
my kids.  The ][c was my second computer, and the first one that I
actually bought myself (I could have sworn I paid over $1K for it
back in 1986-7).

My first computer was a TI-99/4A, which was a hand-me-down from my
uncle in 1984.  I wrote an Adventure-like game for it and saved it
onto audio tapes that I still had (years after the computer died)
until I uncovered them a couple years ago & pitched them.  Unlike
Sam, I was actually able to read my tapes occasionally.  The computer
met an untimely demise when my little brother spilled hot chocolate
down the keyboard one Saturday morning.  That's the last time I
ever had a computer that required using a TV as the monitor.

I gave my Apple ][GS (a $1500 purchase in 1989) away to a good home
a few years ago.