[olug] "I remember when..."

woodsjay at cox.net woodsjay at cox.net
Fri Apr 24 10:22:06 UTC 2009

I remember ordering the Altair 8800 with 8 K of memory in February 1975 ($1200). I bought a Teletype model 35 ASR ($1000) so that I could have external (paper tape) memory. The bootstrap loader was loaded in from the front panel with switches (35 bytes). It was just enough to read Intel hex format binaries from the paper tape. The first program available was an assembler from the Bay Area Computer Club. The second program I wrote to mimic the Wylber text editor that ran on an IBM 360/67 Orvyl Timesharing system.